Saturday, July 30, 2011

Fog Wizard Interview

1. Can you tell us a little bit about the band and introduce yourself for those that have never heard of you before?
Well, I'm Captain Mutherfucker, vocalist for Fog Wizard. We're a 5 piece sludge death metal band out of Boston, MA. We're not strangers to the music scene, this is just the first time that we've all gathered in this current incarnation. We're not trying to live off our past accomplishments, we just want to create great music that we'd want to listen to.

2. How would you describe the musical sound that you are pushing for?
It's sludge. We mix doom, hardcore, and death metal in a way that's pleasing to the ear. 
We're not really pushing for a "sound" we're just putting shit together that sounds good.

3. What are some of the subjects that you portray in your lyrics?
I like to write about things that interest me. Horror is a big theme for me since I've been in the haunted attraction business for about 14 years. I'm a huge horror fan. The CD that we're currently working on has songs about animal rights, phobias, a Lovecraftian story, and a song about a serial killer character a friend of mine plays at Spooky World. 
We just got back one of the tracks called "Meat is Murder" from our engineer and it's brutal.

4. What is the meaning and inspiration behind the band's name?
aaah, ancient Chinese secret.

5. What are some of the best shows that the band has played so far and how would you describe your stage performance?
It's fast. We don't want to bore our audience so we don't waste any time up there.
Our goal is immediacy. I'll throw some witty banter around, but we're really out to entertain everyone. We want to give people the best show they've ever seen, but we also want the added thrill that if you're late, you'll miss us.

6. Do you have any touring plans for the future?
Yeah, we'll head out this summer. We're thinking Ohio, Missouri, New York, and a bunch of places like that. We're hooked up with some great venues around the country that will show us some love and support.

7. The new ep came out on Neverwipe Records, is that an actual label, or is it the band's own label?
Enter the Fog is self-released, Neverwipe is a name that our guitarist, Tone Gavone, came up with. Our new disc will be on Taboo Productions.

8. Do you have any side projects besides this band or is Fog Wizard a full time project?
No side projects musically for me, the world can only handle the Captain in one band at a time. Plus I'm going into haunt season, so I gotta stay fresh.
Some of the other members of the band are involved in other endeavors.

9. How has your music been received so far by extreme music fans worldwide?
People seem to dig it. We're getting played every Saturday night by DJ Rem on the Death To All But Metal show on metalheadradio.com and most people who hear it, think it's pretty good. You can't please everyone and like our bio says, we're only really out to please ourselves. If people dig us, then we're into it too. We really love our fans and we're really grateful for their support.

10. What direction can we expect the band to go into on future releases?
In a slantways direction I believe. We're looking for optimum trajectory as long as the vectors line up.

11. What are some bands or musical styles that have influenced your music and what are you listening to nowadays?
We like to sound like ourselves so we try not to be influenced by others. Of course people will always try to say we sound like one thing or another and if we remind people of a band, that's cool. 
I can't speak for the rest of the band, but I'm really into the new Yoko Ono disc with the Plastic Ono Band. The new DEVO disc is really amazing and I'm crazy about Funplex by the B-52's. I recently caught the video for "Over the Top" by White Wizzard and it's hilarious. I also really love the new Triptykon album, it's absolutely brutal.

12. Outside of music, what are some of your interests?
Again, this is just me, but I like scaring the shit out of people professionally. I'm also a poet and have been performing for over 14 years. I just became vegan this past January, I've been a vegetarian for about the same time I've been a poet. I do still eat honey though, it's the thing that keeps my voice supple. As you can tell I'm an animal rights activist, the funny thing about it is that the rest of the band (minus Tan Vovan) are rabid BBQ fans. They gotta live with my lyrics though.

13. Any final words or thoughts before we close this interview?
Be kind to each other in the pit and stay brutal my friends

No comments:

Post a Comment