Monday, October 31, 2011

The Sequence Of Prime Interview


1. Can you update us with what is going on with the projects these days?


I would, but then I'd have to kill you. Hahahaha. No in all seriousness, I learned a long time ago too not talk to much about what I'm working on until it is actually done. All people need to know is that yes, I always have new things in the works :)


2. How would you describe the musical sound on your new album, and how did you achieve the sound that you got?


I would describe it as it "Doom-Tinged-Interstellar-Thrash-Grind." But really that's just absurd! When it all boils down it is just metal. I achieved the sound by combining two completely opposite ways of working. On one end of the spectrum, the recording of the guitars, bass and vocals are all approached as simply as possible. I did not cut and splice a bunch of perfected guitar loops together. The vocals were not rehearsed. For the most part these elements are all performed straight through in their entirety with very minimal punching in or correction. And on the other end, the drums, synths and ambient noise elements were all painstakingly programmed beat by beat. It is two entirely different worlds crashing into each other at an extremely high speed.


3. What are some of the lyrical topics and concepts that you explore with the new album?


Nuclear war, pollution, disease, nanotechnology, existentialism, just to name a few.


4. Have you have thought of using other members to do live shows with or work with on an album?


Yes, I think about it quite often! Though it's not realistic for me. I have a demanding profession and my time to work on music is limited and random. If anything I would collaborate with others on a limited studio basis. But touring or gigging at this point in my life is completely out of the question. There's just no possible way it would work with my schedule. I will say that nothing would make me happier than to be able to perform these songs in a live setting at least once or twice some day! I would just have to find the right people.


5. Do you have any other side projects besides this band?


First of all I don't have a band. It's just little ol' me, hahaha. Second, I have lots of different projects at all times, but I do not consider any of them side projects. If I am going to do something then I am going to put everything I have into it. All or nothing!


6. The new album was self released, are you looking for a label and if so what kind of label do you feel would be the best for your kind of music?


I'm not actively looking for a label. I have been writing and releasing music for a long time without ever having a label or endorsement of any sort. I only write music because I love it. That's the way it should be! Of course, I will keep my options open. I'm not going to say, "I'LL NEVER SIGN TO A LABEL!" Because hey, if I really felt something fit me and my vision I would certainly consider it. But it's not the goal. If I were to be in the scenario where I was considering a label I would prefer it to be something like Profound Lore, Nuclear War Now! or Ajna. I really like what they do.


7. How have extreme music fans responded to your new album so far?


So far the response has been pretty incredible. I never expected this level of interest.


8. How would you describe your musical progress over the years and what direction do you see the music heading into on future releases?


I would say that my music has gradually become more focused and thoughtful. I am now to the point where I approach my music exactly how I approach my art. It all revolves around developing a strong concept and finding the best way to execute it. As for the future, I certainly have ideas of where I want to go. But it is too early for me to say anything specific.

9. I heard that you have an interest in science fiction and existentialism, can you tell me more about your interest in those fields?

You have heard correct! I want to make clear though that I am not the type of sci-fi buff people normally think about. I mean, I can't recite the names and races of all the aliens in the Cantina scene in Star Wars, ya know? I can't speak Klingon and I don't dress up and go to conventions. Hahahaha. That's not what I'm interested in at all. I'm into the overall ideas and messages portrayed by authors like Ray Bradbury, Isaac Asimov and H.G. Wells. And the real world transitions from science fiction to science fact.

As for existentialism, it is not just an interest - it is my philosophy. The closest thing I can relate to as far as established philosophies go, that is.


10. What are some bands or musical styles that have influenced your music, and also what are you listening to nowadays?


To attempt to narrow things down I would say that some of my key musical influences over the years have been Metallica, Slayer, Overkill, Testament, Ministry, Front Line Assembly, Goblin, Emperor, KMFDM, Samhain, Danzig and Black Sabbath. The most significant album to me is Black Sabbath's "Dehumanizer." That was my first experience with metal and that cassette completely changed my life! Lately I've been listening to a lot of Nightbringer, Triptykon, Deathspell Omega, Today is the Day, Cobalt, Thorns, Teitanblood, Portal and The Crown.


11. Outside of music what are some of your interests?


Visual arts, animation, reading, video games, horror movies and laughing as much as possible!


12. Any final words or thoughts before we close this interview?


Thank you greatly for taking the time to ask me so many thoughtful questions. I really appreciate it! Live, laugh, love and lacerate! Hooaah!

No comments:

Post a Comment