Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Azure Emote Interview


1. Can you give us an update on what is going on with the band these days?

Well the new CD "The Gravity Of Impermanence" just came out on SELFMADEGOD
records. So far the reviews and buzz has been great, and the songs are
starting to spread all over the net and through word of mouth. I'm happy
to see how many people are loving it. I knew it was going to be a
love/hate thing with people since it's so crazy, and so far i'm surprised
that most of the reactions are very positive.

2. How would you describe the musical sound of the new album and how it
differs from previous efforts?

It differs a lot, and not just because it’s different members now too, but
also because that first album was my first time writing my own music. The
albums were also written 10 years apart, so just as I can say that I’m not
the same person I was 10 years ago, that also applies to the music as well
(pulling from different experiences and influences in my life at those
particular times). The root and darkness of Azure Emote is still there
though, being the healthy release of my personal negativity. Azure Emote
is all about creativity and passion with no boundaries yet utterly
misanthropic to the end. I think this new album is more refined though,
more focused, and a bit angrier. I’ve learned a lot over the years, but I
guess life has taken just as much as it’s given.

3. What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects the band explores with
the new release?

The lyrics are very vast, but always sticking to expressing a lot of
negative emotions. I have songs about euthanasia and Jack Kevorkian like
the song "Destroyer of Suffering" which is about the personal right to
die, euthanasia and mercy killing. It’s abhorrent to me how we can put our
pets to sleep but not our loved ones. We’d rather prolong their suffering
and condemn those with the bravery to do what is needed or desired. We’re
constantly subjected to governing religious fanaticism and dogma. I also
have songs about humanity's dependency on technology, like "Epoch of
De-evolution" where i explore the thought that we’re actually getting
dumber as a whole, also the growing lack of a connection with the earth,
the universe and the whole quantum instinct, that without it, will
eventually lead us to our demise through selfish animalistic ego. Then
there's "Puppet Deities" which is about how governments and those in power
use religion to control populations, manipulating gods on strings while
the masses act like primitive children unaware of the puppeteer behind the
curtain. “Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise
as false, and by the rulers as useful.”

4. What is the meaning and inspiration behind the bands name?

Well "Azure" is the particular color of blue that seems to be a recurring
theme throughout myself subconsciously over the years, in my artwork and
everyday life. I picked up on that one day and remembered seeing my aura
as that color too, so I guess I thought it might be cool to use that in
the name. It represents something that stands for "me" or something i'm
familiar with i guess. Seeing as this primarily started as a one man
project for myself musically, I thought that fitting. "Emote" means to
express emotion, in an excessive or theatrical manner. So Azure Emote is
pretty much summing up what i'm doing here with this project – expressing
my personal emotions and passions, emanating the colors within. I thought
it seemed cool and different from the standard or generic band names out
there, so i rolled with it. My eyes are also blue, (windows to the soul)
and the only color tattoo i have is azure on my chest surrounded by a
portal sun of black thorns (the Azure Emote tribal sun symbol).


5. What are some of the best shows that the band has played so far and how
would you describe your stage performance?

Azure Emote has yet to play a live show, but i'm certainly open and
looking, especially for festivals. Europe seems to like our music the
most, and it seems to fit more with the european crowds. I've been so busy
touring with my other bands (Monstrosity and Vile) that's its been hard to
try and make Azure Emote a touring band as well. But never say never. It's
always been in the back of my head to make it happen. Especially when
people come up to me at shows with my other bands asking about Azure Emote
and wanting me to sign the cds. That always gets me more confident about
it.

6. Do you have any touring plans for the future?

We got offered a few festivals in europe and i'm still working on how i
can practically make this happen, since mike is always on tour with Fear
Factory, and ryan and me are also on tour a lot with our other bands.
Trying to get everyone on the same page or at a time when we're all free
is the hard part.

7. On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to the new album by fans
of extreme metal?

it's been surprising great! I never meant to please the masses, and i know
it'll always be cult and underground, and i like it that way. Most of the
straight forward death metal fans of today probably might not get it, but
i've been surprised. It has lost of elements in it that would appeal to
someone who listens to a variety of metal genre's and not just brutal gore
death or something.

8. What is going on with the other musical projects these days?

Busy as usual haha, i actually leave for a small mini tour with VILE
tomorrow, and then i have a few tours and festivals i'm playing with
Monstrosity coming up, as well as working on a new album.

9. What direction do you see your music heading into on future releases?

I have no clue. i like to keep it open and never set out to go a certain
direction. Azure Emote is all about freedom, and it'll be whatever i feel
like at the time. Might be more crazy, might not. Might be more brutal,
faster or slower, but who knows. I like to let the energy flow, and it'll
be whatever it becomes.

10. What are some bands or musical styles that have influenced your newer
music and also what are you listening to nowadays?

Lately I’ve been listening to a lot of Masters Hammer, Suffocation, and
Dehumanized as well as the newest Katatonia and Septic Flesh albums. The
new Dead Can Dance LP is amazing as well.
As far as influences i had while writing the new album, i think at the
time i was listening to a lot of The Project Hate, Carach Angren, Edge of
Sanity, Thy Catafalque, Arcturus, Samael, Thy Disease, Ne Obliviscarous,
older Impaled Nazarene and bands like that.

11. How would you describe your views on Occultism?

Well i look at it from a scientific standpoint, and more about quantum
physics than anything religion or belief related.

12.Outside of music what are some of your interests?

Well i illustrate album covers and artwork for bands through my website
www.visualdarkness.com
Have done art for Sinister, Decrepit Birth, Mortician, Cattle
Decapitation, Hate Eternal and others.. Apart from doing artwork or
creating music, i love collecting old school horror movies, and getting
drunk with friends. I'm usually down for anything, camping, travel, trips
etc…

13. Any final words or thoughts before we wrap up this interview?

I appreciate the interest and thanks for the inti!! Hope to make it back
to europe on tour very soon, and hopefully get to play with Azure Emote
near you sometime.
Make sure to check the Azure Emote Facebook for upcoming news and info!
HAILS!!

No comments:

Post a Comment